Unix@nashikouen

teh place for hakin and computers. also site discussion.
[Return] [bottom] [Catalog]
Posting mode: Reply
submition rules
  • Allowed file types are: .jpg, .png, .gif, .webp, .mp4, .mov, .webm, .mp3, .wav, .ogg, .flac, .swf, .swf
  • maximum files: 3
  • maximum upload size: 40.00 MB
  • duplicate files are not allowed
  • posts will be displayed in UTC time
  • max comment size is 8048 characters
  • tripcodes are enabled
  • BBCode is enabled
  • [ download ] 408.28 KB (400x400) matrix-rain.gif

New board, woah!

What machines do you run, what do you run on 'em, that sort of thing.
    More importantly than the specs, what do they do? What do you do on them?

Pretty normal gaming desktop for my main computer, Ryzen 5 3600X+RTX2060. It is running Windows 10 still because I am incredibly lazy and there are a handful of things I do that will definitely not be pleasant under Wine.
    I suspect that I will probably actually escape to Linux as my daily driver again for the first time in over 10 years if I am forced to move to Windows 11, although it will be painful.
    I use WSL pretty constantly to make up for Windows' shortcomings-- it is impressive just how many Windows-oriented shell scripts I have because batch scripting is insane and has no reason to be so.
    It does normal gaming and web browsing tasks, and it SSH's into my side machine to make things more seamless. I often do a bunch of video conversions with ffmpeg so media can play nicely on my side machine.
    I have a bunch of assorted USB HDDs and SSDs plugged in for storage. I actually think at least one of them is SATA and I probably should take it out of the enclosure and plug it in directly over SATA....

My side machine is a Pi 4, running Pi OS 12. Was unpleasant to upgrade (I in-place desktop Debian just fine, but the Pi OS team clearly is doing something different that makes it flaky in a way I do not feel like fixing) and I have a lot of stuff to do that I will probably never get around to doing, but that's life.
    It plays music and assorted videos, and I use it as a very bootleg NAS. (^_^;)
    Any assorted Linux development tasks that aren't terminal only, I do on it.
    There are two USB disks plugged in for storage, one for the OS since running off of SD is awful, and one for videos and music.
    I am deeply tempted to buy a Pi 5, but considering the use case, I want to wait for a Pi 500. The keyboard and all the stuff I have plugged into it is taking up valuable desk real estate.

I really should probably learn some web stuff, and use the Pi 4 to test it locally. Laziness...

i cant tell if this is bait or satire..

specs don't really matter. or they matter for what you are trying to achive.. all my machines i actually use are in a rack mount. my main machine i end up roating parts but usaly is a ryzen 7 somet numbers and a 2019 gpu from amd or nvida.

my router runs openbsd and has 120tb of storage and 28cores. 64gb ram.

it dose not much just holds a huge archive of my stuff along with some web servers. i do plan to put a nvida tesla in it and put it in a data center and host nashi on it and many other sites. its a dell poweredge r720xd. boot raid 1 only using 4 of the drives each drive 12tb each.

op i sugssest you look into traditional unix and not some big project that promises the world.

>i cant tell if this is bait or satire..
    stunningly curious as to how this is bait, this isn't that kind of site

>specs don't really matter. or they matter for what you are trying to achive.. all my machines i actually use are in a rack mount. my main machine i end up roating parts but usaly is a ryzen 7 somet numbers and a 2019 gpu from amd or nvida.
    I just wanted to see the lay of the land with what people were running for whatever tasks/projects they were using since that's an easy topic starter, but I more wanted to see what projects were happening.
    like, if you read the post, a lot of dev work was shuttled onto the Pi because it's running Linux fulltime, specs generally don't matter

>op i sugssest you look into traditional unix and not some big project that promises the world.
    like, are you talking about the OS I'd run or the projects I'd do on the systems?

For the OS, I'm more familiar with Debian than anything, so I end up using Debian-based systems. Pi OS is literally just their customized Debian install for the hardware.
    I'll usually go with a minimal install and then build it up how I like. A Debian "minimal" install isn't terribly minimal these days, but every project seems to take to the fact that disk is cheap now.

For general projects I'd do on the system since I mentioned webdev, I was kind of tempted to learn using Flask+Python. I'd learned a bit of PHP in college and that was it, I've genuinely not spent enough time doing backend web anything.

>>3
    >i cant tell if this is bait or satire..
    There is an alternative to both... it's called moƩ!

I don't know anything about computers, but this matrix gif was the screensaver on my roku tv

kill yourself

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

>>10
    ...10get?

>>10

GET!!!!!

I am the owner of a Dragonbox Pyra which is an obscure Linux handheld. I only browse the web on it with Vivaldi.

If you want the Pi 5 but in a keyboard case with an actual quality keyboard, get the Commodore 64x case. You can put a Pi in it.

>>126
    >I am the owner of a Dragonbox Pyra which is an obscure Linux handheld.

POST PICS

HE NEVAR DELIVER!

[top]
    Delete Post: []
    Password:

- you are running KotatsuBBS. a clear and easy to read image board software -