Unix@nashikouen

teh place for hakin and computers. also site discussion.
[Return] [bottom] [Catalog]
Posting mode: Reply
submition rules
  • Allowed file types are: .jpg, .png, .gif, .webp, .mp4, .mov, .webm, .mp3, .wav, .ogg, .flac, .swf, .swf
  • maximum files: 3
  • maximum upload size: 40.00 MB
  • duplicate files are not allowed
  • posts will be displayed in UTC time
  • max comment size is 8048 characters
  • tripcodes are enabled
  • BBCode is enabled

• what are some amazing unix books you own?
    i believe my collection here is pretty strong.

i really onky ever read the openbsd books, c books, some 4.4 bsd and ed mastery.
    do you guys have any recommendations of powerful unix books i should get?

its really hard to have time to read, i just was never good at english.

forgot to increase the file limit.
    that damn commentary book cant fit on any shelf!!

what is teh benefit of reading books about technical topics as opposed to finding teh information via search engine + chatgtp-sensei?

>>39
    i am not sure. i use a lot of chatgpt when programing.

some of the benefits you can get is learning about a topic that you just dint know existed prior to question aksing

[ download ] 18.6 KB (500x431) droollll.jpg
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    this is really really good looking

I remember this book I read way back college days. Introduction to Berkeley Unix and ANSI C by Jack Hodges. Obviously, the chapters on C are dated and did not cover a great deal. I still have it lying around somewhere. Good times.

P.S. I can't understand why the hell anyone would use ed nowadays

>>91
    >P.S. I can't understand why the hell anyone would use ed nowadays

ed is most useful if you are at an actual dumb-terminal that doesn't do cursor addressing
    which is pretty much never the case unless you want to have fun using a real teletype machine (which is also why it's so terse, physically printing each character is slow)
    it is also scriptable by virtue of being a line editor you can pipe commands into (so ed might show up in shell scripts!), although this feels absurd to me

in some cases, it's treated as an editor of last resort (maybe vi is broken for whatever reason, I'd assume something about emitting cursor control sequences is badly broken too, or maybe you don't have the memory to open anything else) but like, this doesn't really come up

>P.S. I can't understand why the hell anyone would use ed nowadays

<this is why i use it :D

>>92
    >(so ed might show up in shell scripts!), although this feels absurd to me

I use ed in personal scripts, because sed syntax is annoying to remember for anything more complex than s//. I use vi every day, so I can write ed scripts intuitively; with sed I always have to dig up the solution on the man page/Internet, and forget it by the time I need it again.

Sadly, ed is no longer installed everywhere (even though it's the standard editor!), so I stick with sed for portable scripts.

>>103
    I'm genuinely a bit surprised that ed isn't provided by default on some systems now just because it shows up in shell scripts and is one of the "this is on EVERY Unix-like system" commands.

>I'm genuinely a bit surprised that ed isn't provided by default on some systems now

well if the system dose not have it then its not posix. as it is a posix standerd witch i think u meant
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_POSIX_commands

>>106
    posix compatibility isn't as relevant as it used to be, sadly
    "runs fine on ubuntu, fedora, and debian" (and maybe not even fedora lol) is the name of the game when it comes to compatibility these days... (=_=)

>>103
    hmmm.... I wonder if ex is provided on most systems in a default install still (thanks to Vim)

so you could feed commands into ex -s in scripts and expect it to work

https://x.com/9600/status/1146852915396665344

I have the Documents half of this set just because it's kind of collectible. I really would like to be friends with someone who is super into Plan 9 and pass it on to them.

[top]
    Delete Post: []
    Password:

- you are running KotatsuBBS. a clear and easy to read image board software -