Unix@nashikouen

teh place for hakin and computers. also site discussion.
[Return] [bottom] [Catalog]
Posting mode: Reply
submition rules
  • Allowed file types are: .jpg, .png, .gif, .webp, .mp4, .mov, .webm, .mp3, .wav, .ogg, .flac, .swf, .swf
  • maximum files: 3
  • maximum upload size: 40.00 MB
  • duplicate files are not allowed
  • posts will be displayed in UTC time
  • max comment size is 8048 characters
  • tripcodes are enabled
  • BBCode is enabled
  • [ download ] 41.27 KB (620x465) wmaker.jpg

window maker looks awesome, but I have my doubts regarding its functionality. Could any window maker user share their experience with me?

I use Window Maker regularly. It's very featureful and fairly easy to use. It has its quirks because a lot of applications don't play nicely with the dock icon system, but it's customizable and user friendly overall. Everything is configured via GUI.

Also, you'll need some dockapps for a few things like wmsystemtray and wmclock, both should be available via package manager. Start them, pin them to the dock wherever you like, and set them to launch on startup.
    https://www.dockapps.net/ has a list of more you can try out.

I gave up having the application menu be auto-populated, I ended up just making my own entries for everything since you can't edit the menu if it's being autofilled. Allegedly, there used to be a way to get the autogenerated menu to work alongside a customized one, but that might have been broken for 20 years now as far as I can tell.

You might also want to make sure the key bindings don't conflict with your other programs, I can't remember which one was causing problems for me by default. Again, everything is GUI based (double click the Window Maker logo for settings) so it's nice and easy.

oh yeah, it doesn't play nice with click trackpads too, you need to be able to right-click drag for some things, a proper mouse is mandatory

It's a bit quirky, but it's also very easy to get used to. It makes an active effort to be easy to use, things are generally discoverable by clicking around and checking the tooltips (enable balloon help when you're starting out). I really like Window Maker.

continuing from the above, I've been using it actively for... I dunno, more than 10 years, maybe more like 15 or so
    it hasn't always been my main WM, a bunch of my systems just used XFCE, and way back when GNOME wasn't completely divorced from good taste or design, I used GNOME 2
    but if I'm on a resource constrained system, Window Maker comes out since it's really light, snappy, and is still easy to use -- I'd spent a bit of time going nuts with FVWM for a while and tweaking it at one point, but it's just a pain to configure, while Window Maker is comically easy and user friendly

idk what this is. i been using unix since 2021. and run dwm, before it was just manjaro xfce

>>230
    >idk what this is

it's a window manager that tries to replicate the look and feel of NeXTStep (the OS that became Mac OS X)

[top]
    Delete Post: []
    Password:

- you are running KotatsuBBS. a clear and easy to read image board software -